Home Forums Hardware discussions HD power?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    jernst
    Participant

I assume the big plastic connector next to the SATA is supposed to power a hard drive. Indeed I have a bunch of cables lying around that have 4-pin molex on one side, and the SATA power connector on the other.

But: all my cables are male on the molex side, and the Espressobin board is male, too!

Opening a random PC next to me reveals that its power supply provides female molex connectors, so my adapter indeed fits. Unlike the Espressobin.

What am I missing?

TheLinuxBug
    Participant

@jenst

You should consider getting one of the following:

This will adapt the Molex to SATA power that can be plugged into SATA your drive for power.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

jernst
    Participant

@TheLinuxBug: I had been trying to be really clear in my post, but apparently I failed.

I have plenty of the connectors you point out, the trouble is, none of them work, as the board is male and the disk is male, too. That seems to be a mistake on the board, the Moles should be female — or even better, be a SATA power connector, not Molex.

Coren22
    Participant

I was able to find this, which appears to be the correct cable:

Hopefully that helps you as well.

It would be nice if Globalscale would sell some kind of hard drive kit that included the power and data cables, as well as some kind of holder for the drive…maybe even some kind of case.

dpreviti
    Participant

@jernst,
    Ran into the same issue. I’m using a ide to sata conversion kit to the links above didn’t work for me.

With some searching I found these 4 pin female to female power. This should help, and for anyone going forward trying to use a ide drive:

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Signup to our newsletter

Technical specification tables can not be displayed on mobile. Please view on desktop