Home Forums Getting Started How does this work?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  dgkebler 5 days, 8 hours ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

EspressChris
    Participant

Hi

I bought 2 Espresso Bins about 9-10 months ago.
    I have never been able to make use of them or to get them running properly.
    Eventually a login showed up but then network didn’t work or whatever other issue.

Ok, maybe it all was supposed to be a bit experimental in the beginning.

So I am coming back here from time to time. Now for 10 months…

I thought after a bit of time there would be a way that a medium experienced person like me could actually get one of the Espresso bins working.

But no luck.

There is a lot of work being put into Armbian for this project (Thanks so much to Armbian that EspressoBin is being supported. It’s like the last hope that the devices will work in the end) but the espressobin people do not seem to put an effort into making a tutorial, that actually shows step by step how to get the espresso bin setup with an Amrbian image.

Maybe it says it somewhere, I could not find it though.
    Just like: Download Amrbian, Etcher it to the card, start up, do xyz and then it’s started.
    I am sure there is a generic way.

Great example for a project that is very well documented is Helios4 in my opinion.
    EspressoBin, please have a look: https://wiki.kobol.io
    The Helios4 be installed with Linux, Windows and OSX.
    It took me maybe 30 minutes and the whole ARM board was working and setup including building the Box and setting up RAID with OMV.
    Works productive since then.
    How cool is that !!
    Could Espressobin not offer a similar “service” to the people who bought their hardware?

A good example in my opinion for the lack of effort put into the tutorials in the EspressoBin Wiki is that the option to run the espresso bin from OSX got deleted. It was in there when I started to look into this topic all these months ago.
    But actually to install the serial connection on OSX seems very simple and works for me:

Install the PL2303 Mac OS X Driver from here:
    http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProduct.aspx?p_id=229&pcid=41

Install Picocom

Install picocom on Mac OSX

Check for USB serial connections:
    (After the EspressoBin has been connected via microUSB to the Mac)
    ls /dev/*usb*

Connect with Picocom
    (On the Macs Terminal just type)
    sudo picocom -b 115200 /dev/cu.usbserial

Serial Connection via USB is running.

Is there a reason why this OSX Option is not explained in a Tutorial?
    Why is OSX excluded?

Maybe I am not getting the project and this was supposed to be purely experimental.
    Hopefully I did not oversee some good tutorial, neither. (Actually I really hope I did, because I would just like to have these bins working).

I needed to get this out since I am just so frustrated that these EspressoBins (that I thought I could make use of) where just money down the drain and so many hours and hours of useless frickeling around with the bins and the software were wasted.

If I am wrong, I am happy to take it all back.
    But if not, I would hope that EspressoBin would look at how Helios4 is doing it and would try to catch up to them.

Hope enough Bins have been sold that now actually something is domne for the money that was spent on the Bins and that some good service is being provided.

Thanks for listening,

Chris

dgkebler
    Participant

I bought one recently and was able to build a kernel and use the latest ubuntu 18.04. It’s all running fine. I have in image I’m willing to share which may get you going although I am unsure if being 10 months old you have an older rev that may not be compatible. Yes this was not a board for inexperienced. There documentation is actually ok but you have to know what your are doing.

EspressChris
    Participant

I must say that since I wrote my post I have not spent more time on trying to get the ESPRESSObin’s to work.

If you had an image that you could share, that would be very nice.

It would allow me to try out if the bins work.

How could we exchange download / upload information?

dgkebler
    Participant

I am in the process of setting up a NAS on my home network with my already operational expressobin as my gateway router. When the NAS is set up and functional I’ll have an easy way to post the minimal image. That might be several weeks. If I don’t get to it soon I’ll opt putting it in a s3 bucket. Image is about 300KB.

I’ll post here again when it’s available.

I have a set of install notes I want to turn into a blog like this https://blog.tjll.net/building-my-perfect-router/ (he used archlinux) but again have to find the time.

Anyway the bottom line I’m very satisfied with my epressobin. It’s been running 24/7 now for a couple weeks without issue and with 18.04 I am able to customize to my requirements easily.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Signup to our newsletter

Technical specification tables can not be displayed on mobile. Please view on desktop