Home Forums Hardware discussions Jumpers on board

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Trblz
    Participant

There are three jumpers on the board – J3, J10 and J11

My board is configured as:
    J03 – HIGH = MPP1_6 ON
    J10 – LOW = MPP1_5 OFF
    J11 – HIGH = MPP1_7 ON
    J16 – HIGH = RUSB1_Dp > PEX_USB_Dp
    J19 – HIGH = RUSB1_Dn > PEX_USB_Dn

MPP1_5 : Serial NAND Flash Download Mode.
    MPP1_6 : UART Mode.
    MPP1_7 : SD Card

Who can help me what it is all for?

biothundernxt
    Participant

Bump?

Bryan
    Keymaster

Hi Biothundernxt and Trblz,

we are looking into this and will release a set of jumper setting soons for the community

Bryan

Bryan
    Keymaster

Hi All,

Please find the jumper settings for different boot options on the latest quickstart guide here.

ftp://downloads.globalscaletechnologies.com/Downloads/Espressobin/ESPRESSObin-V5-QuickStartGuide-170622.pdf

Bryan

jernst
    Participant

Nice table at the end of the document, but what does it mean? XXX vs Alternate XXX is not helpful without a paragraph of text for each one of the alternatives.

wombat
    Participant

OK, third try at replying, For some reason I can’t enter tables in this forum.

If you look at the jumpers, they’re labelled ‘4 2 1’. If you put the board with the reset button towards you, treat jumper in the upper position as 0 and jupers in teh bottom position as 1. Then:

Jumpers Meaning from Docs Guessed meaning
    1 (UUD) SPI flash boot from location 0 of NOR flash via SPI
    2 (UDU) eMMC boot from BOOT0 partition on eMMC.
    3 (UDD) Alternate eMMC boot from BOOT1 partiton on eMMC (guess)
    4 (DUU) SATA boot from block 1 of SATA disk
    5 (DUD) SPI NAND boot from SPI NAND flash (which the espressoBIN doesn’t have)
    6 (DDU) UART boot from serial port using Marvell’s modified XMODEM

I haven’t had any success in booting from anything other than the SPI NOR flash. According to the docs I have access to (which are very limited), if there is no eMMC the board should boot by loading from block 1 of the SDHC card. But with a valid image at that point, and the jumpers set to 2, the system appears to drop back to load-from-UART mode (Single > prompt, E displayed after each carriage-return), and with the jumpers set to 3, there is nothing on the serial port.

armbian
    Participant
    wombat
    Participant

According to the circuit diagram, 7 (DDD) should boot from the sdhc card. But I haven’t been able to make this work yet.

wombat
    Participant

I’ve discovered that 4 (DUU) is boot from block 0 (not block 1) of the SATA disk. I’ve managed to boot from a pre-built image downloaded from http://wiki.espressobin.net/tiki-download_file.php?fileId=146 but haven’t yet been able to build and boot anything myself.

wombat
    Participant

Instructions are here for booting from SATA: http://wiki.espressobin.net/tiki-index.php?page=Boot+ESPRESSObin+from+SATA+drive&highlight=u-boot
    You can ignore ths bits about partitioning the disk — the MSDOS partition table will be overwritten by the boot image.

I still have not been able to build an image that will boot.

toomyem
    Participant

Hi there.

Did you successfully managed to boot Espresso from SATA using prebuilt image? How did you do this? I was trying to follow instructions from wiki, but I only got TIM-1 prompt. What block 0 means? I just dd’ed the image to /dev/sdb. Should I do something more?

Thanks for any help.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Signup to our newsletter

Technical specification tables can not be displayed on mobile. Please view on desktop