Home Forums Software discussion OS – ubuntu Kernel compile error

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  landon 2 years ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

landon
    Participant

Since the default downloadable image didn’t include iptables/netfilter support, I went through the process of building the kernel.

I selected the described symbols during menuconfig as described on this page:
    http://wiki.espressobin.net/tiki-index.php?page=Ubuntu+-+initial+network+configuration

Once I chose those attributes and saved the config, the kernel would no longer build. It error’d out at:

drivers/usb/gadget/udc/mvebu_u3d.c:41:25: fatal error: asm/cputype.h: No such file or directory
    #include <asm/cputype.h>

It went through 100’s of successful file compiles up to that point before it died.

I was able to build and boot a kernel built with the default config generated by:

make mvebu_v8_lsp_defconfig

I’ve also checked out the the 17.10 and 17.06 branch but it fails with the same error (using the same .config file generated after manually selecting the NETFILTER and related family of symbols described in: http://wiki.espressobin.net/tiki-index.php?page=Ubuntu+-+initial+network+configuration

There is an asm/cputype.h in the kernel source tree, but it’s apparently not being found – seems like an include directory is not set right in the build or something?

Wondering if anyone has seen this as well or has a hint that would point me in the right direction. I think it’s close, but this one problem is standing in the way of getting NETFILTER support compiled in.

Landon

landon
    Participant

To close the loop on this. I decided to set that build aside and start from scratch with a fresh clone. This time I didn’t checkout any other branch except the 17.06 branch. Instead of doing the menuconfig method of selecting the NETFILTER and IPTABLES family of options as outlined in the instructions, I downloaded the ubuntu_config.dms file and made that my .config.

The build this time went fine and I was able to boot it and get routing/bridging functionality – the iptables error of not being able to load the module obviously went away as well.

So, must have been something related to manually selecting the options in menuconfig. Anyway, thought I would report back the results I’ve had.

Landon

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Signup to our newsletter

Technical specification tables can not be displayed on mobile. Please view on desktop