Home Forums Getting Started No working init found

This topic contains 11 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  adonesp 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

adonesp
    Participant

I tried to follow the getting started software how to. I’m trying to boot ubuntu 16.04 server image. I already prepared the rootfs with kernel 4.4.52 and dtb file in /boot. When trying to boot, I get the ff error:

[ 6.074707] Starting init: /sbin/init exists but couldn’t execute it (error -8)
    [ 6.085632] Starting init: /etc/init exists but couldn’t execute it (error -13)
    [ 6.102679] request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-464c
    [ 6.110756] Starting init: /bin/sh exists but couldn’t execute it (error -8)
    [ 6.118164] Kernel panic – not syncing: No working init found. Try passing init= option to kernel. See Linux Documentation/init.txt for guidance.

This is my current uboot env:

baudrate=115200
    boot_interface=mmc
    bootcmd=mmc dev 0; ext4load mmc 0:1 $kernel_addr $image_name;ext4load mmc 0:1 $fdt_addr $fdt_name;setenv bootargs $console root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rw rootwait; booti $kernel_addr – $fdt_addr
    bootdelay=2
    bootmmc=mmc dev 0; ext4load mmc 0:1 $kernel_addr $image_name;ext4load mmc 0:1 $fdt_addr $fdt_name;setenv bootargs $console root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rw rootwait; booti $kernel_addr – $fdt_addr
    console=console=ttyMV0,115200 earlycon=ar3700_uart,0xd0012000
    eth1addr=00:51:82:11:22:01
    eth2addr=00:51:82:11:22:02
    eth3addr=00:51:82:11:22:03
    ethact=neta@30000
    ethaddr=F0:AD:4E:05:34:B8
    ethprime=eth0
    fdt_addr=0x4f00000
    fdt_high=0xffffffffffffffff
    fdt_name=boot/armada-3720-community.dtb
    fdtcontroladdr=3f7161b8
    gatewayip=10.4.50.254
    get_images=tftpboot $kernel_addr $image_name; tftpboot $fdt_addr $fdt_name; run get_ramfs
    get_ramfs=if test “${ramfs_name}” != “-“; then setenv ramfs_addr 0x8000000; tftpboot $ramfs_addr $ramfs_name; else setenv ramfs_addr -;fi
    hostname=marvell
    image_name=boot/Image
    initrd_addr=0x1100000
    initrd_image=boot/uInitrd
    initrd_size=0x2000000
    ipaddr=0.0.0.0
    kernel_addr=0x5000000
    loadaddr=0x5000000
    netdev=eth0
    netmask=255.255.255.0
    ramfs_addr=0x8000000
    ramfs_name=-
    root=root=/dev/nfs rw
    rootdev=/dev/mmcblk0p1
    rootfstype=ext4
    rootpath=/srv/nfs/
    serverip=0.0.0.0
    set_bootargs=setenv bootargs $console $root ip=$ipaddr:$serverip:$gatewayip:$netmask:$hostname:$netdev:none nfsroot=$serverip:$rootpath $extra_params
    stderr=serial@12000
    stdin=serial@12000
    stdout=serial@12000
    verbosity=2

pacman
    Participant

Did you remember to partition the card and format as ext4 ?
    When I created my ubuntu image, I used a single ext4 partition; this is much simpler and easier than using two partitions.

See my create EspressoBIN ubuntu image for how an image could be created.

… You can use my imageWriter script for writing the image conveniently to a SD-card or USB-stick.
    (In this case, you want to write to a block-device, not a single partition, because the EspressoBIN.img file is a volume that contains partitions).
    Note: I use cp instead of dd, this is only for convenience; the outcome is identical.
    Note2: Some people fear using dd, because they’re afraid of losing all their data, but dd is not a dangerous tool at all, this is a complete misunderstanding. ‘dd’ is just as harmless as cp, cat echo, printf and so forth, but if you write to anything in /dev, you want to be careful – no matter which command you use.

My goal with those scripts is to make it easier and safer to write disk images.

adonesp
    Participant

I did partition my SD card with single ext4 according to the guide. I switched to Archlinux ARM it’s pretty solid now. No crash running overnight yet.

pacman
    Participant

Archliux sounds like a good solid choice. I’ll likely try that myself.
    Great to hear that you got things working. 🙂

adonesp
    Participant

If I had the time, I would really like to try out your script. But I’ve got really limited time right now. Thanks for your help

adonesp
    Participant

One more question, is it possible to bundle the file system in a tarball and just copy it to another SD card?

pacman
    Participant

I know how it is. 😉

Just keep them for a rainy day.
    I hope that other forum readers can benefit from them too.

pacman
    Participant

Certainly.

You can use tar in place of dd or cp.

For example if you have …

sudo dd if=/dev/sdy of=myimage.img bs=1m

… you could just as well write …

sudo tar -cjf myimage.tar.bz2 /dev/sdy

… just think of a block device as being one huge file.

pacman
    Participant

… in some cases you do not need ‘sudo’ in front of dd or tar; it depends on which O/S you’re using and your account settings. 😉

adonesp
    Participant

Thanks. I had to use sudo due to permission errors. It’s compressing the file system from my SD card now. Hope it works 😀

dutch
    Participant

Hi Adonesp,

Did you ever find out what was actually causing your “no working init” kernel panic? I am attempting to run IPfire on my espressobin and I am currently receiving the same error.

adonesp
    Participant

@dutch Sorry, I have never found out the reason for the error. If you manage to solve your issue, please let us know.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Signup to our newsletter

Technical specification tables can not be displayed on mobile. Please view on desktop