Home Forums Software discussion pfSense

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    gonzopancho
    Participant

If I’d wanted to build a 4-port NAS, I’d have used a A388, though we’d still be limited by the 5 SERDES.

The SG-3100 is built to run pfSense.

This site is about espresso.bin, we should talk about it here.

gonzopancho
    Participant

I’ll just leave these here:

pfSense on espresso.bin
    bootlog

The load is high because the kernel is compiled with DEBUG enabled.

WzL
    Participant

Wow, just ….. wow!

sk.mskumar
    Participant

That is cool, can you share the steps?

gonzopancho
    Participant

It’s not ready yet. Still boots of USB, instead of eMMC.

WzL
    Participant

Will it ever be ready, there’ll be always something that needs work and/or attention?!

pacman
    Participant

It’s always a good idea to give the developers some air and time to make the product feel good.
    I know this, because I’ve been a software developer myself.
    Personally I’d prefer that the developers feel good about a release rather than meeting a certain deadline.

-But you could of course send in a request to become a tester of the ExpressoBIN version and hope you’ll be accepted; being a tester will mean real hard work and writing detailed reports and performing tests and analyzing them – all the boring stuff that no end-user wants to do… 😉

Trblz
    Participant

Awesome news! Looking forward to use pfSense on the bin. Now I need to wait to get it for my moving to complete …. in about 6 weeks.

What are skills are needed to debug pfsense? At the level of kernel driver debugging?

I have done debugging and modifications to openWRT solutions (ITUS Shield) as the creators stopped supporting it.

sk.mskumar
    Participant

@gonzopancho – let me know if you need help testing. I can spend some time.

Trblz
    Participant

@gonzopancho – i managed to get my EspressoBIN out of storage, let me know if i can help 🙂

whitey
    Participant

Let me know when the espressobin pfsense image is ready and how to acquire, very interested in testing. AMAZING work!

pacman
    Participant

@gonzopancho – I’d like to test out pfSense on my (two) EspressoBIN boards when they arrive as well.
    My boards are 2GB (I believe that many are 1GB, so it might make a difference performance wise).
    I do not know yet if my boards have eMMC, but I do plan on attaching a 2.5″ WD Red harddisk (especially for logging).
    I’ve ordered a USB3-to-Ethernet adapter, which works with Armbian; I don’t expect that it will work with pfSense, but since it already works with Armbian, the source code for the driver must be availble – that might make support possible.
    (I’ll also be ordering a Marvell based Mini-PCIe-to-4-port-SATA adapter).

slaeyer
    Participant

I have been actively looking for a pfSense/OPNSense capable SBC for some time now. I really don’t have the room nor the electricity budget to install an old PC in my network closet but I’m tired of off the shelf router’s and their limited functionality.

An Espressobin running pfSense seems to be the perfect fit for my home network with all the features I’m after!

pacman
    Participant

@slaeyer – as a bonus, you’ll get a device that…

• Uses very little power: Less than 2W (normally around 1W. -Since it’s on 24/7, this is significant for electricity bills.
    • Makes no noise (itøs fanless).
    • Can easily be run on ‘green power’ – eg. solar/wind power.
    • Can run on a cheap home-made UPS using two diodes and a battery.

Note: I’ll be running mine with a WD Red drive, which uses 0.2W idle power and 1.4W read/write power. The drive will not be powered by the EspressoBIN. So in theory, I shouldn’t need a 12V PSU.

Trblz
    Participant

Hi @gonzopancho

any news on making pfSense run on eMMC? Otherwise I’m happy to test it from USB too.

cheers

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Signup to our newsletter

Technical specification tables can not be displayed on mobile. Please view on desktop