Home Forums Hardware discussions Serial over USB not working.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  TamiDuke 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

biothundernxt
    Participant

I am having trouble with my unit.
    I never could get the serial over usb to work with only the 5v power plugged in, it would show up as a device, but the terminal would stall.
    Plugging in the 12v power adapter yielded the desired result, but I was having problems getting it to read the sd card properly.

Now, when I try to connect to the serial even with the 12v plugged in, I am having issues.

It connects, but all I get is a >
    If I type anything (or nothing, it doesn’t matter) and hit enter, the console returns:

E
    >

Pressing the reset button makes it spit another > out after a moment, but then has the same behavior.

If anyone has any insight as to what I am doing wrong, or if I perhaps have a malfunctioning unit, your insight would be appreciated.

TheLinuxBug
    Participant

Sounds to me (just guessing here) like you hosed u-boot on the SPI NOR chip. You should be able to place u-boot on an sd-card and boot from it. Once in u-boot on the SDcard you should also be able to re-load u-boot on the SPI NOR (assuming this is the issue). I am not sure if they have this process documented yet, but at least writing u-boot to an SDcard should allow you to boot into an operating system.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

biothundernxt
    Participant

Thanks, I will try that.

biothundernxt
    Participant

Where might I get the uboot image for this board? I cant seem to find it on the wiki anywhere…

biothundernxt
    Participant

Update…
    entering ‘h’ or ‘?’ returns this block of text…

>h
    h/? - print this help screen
    r yyyyyyyy - read register/memory at address yyyyyyyy in hex
    w yyyyyyyy zzzzzzzz - write zzzzzzzz to address yyyyyyyy in hex
    j yyyyyyyy - jump to address yyyyyyyy in hex
    x y - change the boot mode, where y is in hex
    a - UART control passed to AP CPU ROM
    c - UART control passed to CM3 CPU ROM

Any ideas?…
    I also still have no idea what to do about a messed up U-boot, if that is what is going on… There is no info on the wiki on u-boot, and I am pretty new to anything more complicated than a raspberry pi when it comes to SBCs, so I am pretty used to the lazy “download a .img file and apply it to an sd card.

I’m pretty confident in my ability to learn, I just need a point in the right direction, maybe a link to some articles explaining how this stuff works. Google has not been helpful at all in that respect.

biothundernxt
    Participant

Double posting due to lack of edit button… (why?…)

I managed to find (by reading other threads) that there is an otherwise undocumented ftp site.
    ftp://downloads.globalscaletechnologies.com/Downloads/Espressobin/
    Has many useful files it would seem, including the U-Boot image.
    Now I just need to learn how to flash it.

DougLorenz
    Participant

Hey, did anyone find a solution to this one? I’ve got the same result, where I’m stuck preboot with the following message:

h/? - print this help screen                                                    
    r yyyyyyyy - read register/memory at address yyyyyyyy in hex                    
    w yyyyyyyy zzzzzzzz - write zzzzzzzz to address yyyyyyyy in hex                 
    j yyyyyyyy - jump to address yyyyyyyy in hex                                    
    x y - change the boot mode, where y is in hex                                   
    a - UART control passed to AP CPU ROM                                           
    c - UART control passed to CM3 CPU ROM  

I’ve tried moving jumpers around and booting from SATA, but I keep ending up at the same preboot fail.

TamiDuke
    Participant

The green LED on the SSC-32 is a status indicator, not a power light. If this LED does not illuminate then you have a power problem. When power is first applied the LED will light up steady telling you it’s 99% functional. The LED will go out after it has received its first byte of data, and then blink after that when it’s receiving data. This will happen even if the baud rate is wrong. It’s a useful tool for troubleshooting the communication system.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Signup to our newsletter

Technical specification tables can not be displayed on mobile. Please view on desktop