Home Forums Software discussion u-boot and brick-possibility

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  armbian 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

zub2
    Participant

Hi,

I’d like to flash my own build of u-boot. But I wonder… Is it generally safe to mess around with the u-boot if I’m not afraid of serial or SATA unbricking as described here on the wiki? Desoldering the flash chip and reprogramming that would be too much for me.

And what about the ATF, is it also safe to poke into?

I wonder where does the code that implements the serial and the SATA boot reside. Is it something that is not modified by the uboot + ATF flash, so it’s accessible no matter what I flash?

Thanks,
    zub

armbian
    Participant

I wonder where does the code that implements the serial and the SATA boot reside. Is it something that is not modified by the uboot + ATF flash, so it’s accessible no matter what I flash?

Proper procedure and explanation: https://forum.armbian.com/topic/8075-espressobin-rescue-instruction-for-macronix-spi-chip/?do=findComment&comment=62836

zub2
    Participant

Thank you for the link, Armbian. I’ve actually read the whole thread as it describes trouble with a new flash chip which is also relevant for my board.

But it does not answer my original question. I wanted to know if the serial recovery procedure always works, even if I flash a completely broken uboot image. That’s why I asked where does the SW (on the board) that is responsible for the serial recovery, resides.

armbian
    Participant

Yes, it works. That its primary role.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Signup to our newsletter

Technical specification tables can not be displayed on mobile. Please view on desktop