Home Forums Hardware discussions WiFo for both ac and n

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  armbian 1 week ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

t0ny0
    Participant

Hey guys, have a few espressobins on hand, one of which came with the wifi card from globalscale. Was wondering if there is a supported mini pcie wifi card, that would allow me to run openwrt with both ac and n simultaneously?

Also, for the included wifi – range seems to be a big problem, once I am 10ft away from the device – it drops ac down to ~300mbps, and actual speeds for dl go down to around 30mbps. I ordered some external antennas, do you think that will work?

Thanks for your help!

t0ny0
    Participant

I mean to write WiFi, not WiFo obviously. Can’t edit my post, sorry.

armbian
    Participant

>Was wondering if there is a supported mini pcie wifi card, that would allow me to run openwrt with both ac and n simultaneously?

I haven’t seen such card and I haven’t seen any AC module working on this board yet. Your current best case is Atheros 98xx on mPCI for 2.4 N mode and some 8812AU on USB for AC. And you will need updated U-boot and a kernel 4.14.y from Armbian – it works there. At minimum.

https://forum.armbian.com/topic/5831-espressobin-mpcie-wifi-adapter-not-recognised/?tab=comments#comment-45171

t0ny0
    Participant

Hey! I actually found that the included WiFi module works pretty well in AC (as in – it works lol, but the moment you move 5ft away from the device – speeds drop drastically) when running LEDE. I tried with an intel card – I keep getting stuck in a bootloop, so I gave up on that.
    Yeah I do not think that such card exists that can do both at the same time.

Thanks for your input!

t0ny0
    Participant

Actually, it looks like the MediaTek MT7615 might be able to support both at the same time? Or am I wrong?

armbian
    Participant

Yes, it looks so but … https://wikidevi.com/wiki/MediaTek_MT7615 The only existing (but nowhere to buy) mPCI form factor devices are “Mini PCIe (oversized)” which means they won’t fit in 🙂 Second problems can be drivers quality.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Signup to our newsletter

Technical specification tables can not be displayed on mobile. Please view on desktop